**We’re cooking up something good! Stay tuned for the relaunch of YWCulinary this winter. If you are interested in receiving automatic updates, join our mailing list.**
YW Culinary Program
YW Culinary is a 12-week job training program designed to prepare women for success in Chicagoland’s vibrant food service industry. The program is free.
Features of the program include:
- Develop culinary and food service skills
- Develop employment skills such as communication skills, interview practice, and resume writing
- Access YWCA financial education resources like Basic Money Management
- Earn ServSafe Food Handler Certificate
- Gain industry knowledge and learn from guest chefs
- Job placement and retention assistance
In this program you will learn:
- Develop knife skills, cooking and baking techniques.
- Prepare recipes and menus.
- Connect and cook alongside classmates and professional chefs virtually
- Earn your ServSafe Food Handler’s Certification.
- Career Development – Create an individualized career development plan while enhancing your skills in communication, interviewing and networking.
- Industry Knowledge – Gain industry knowledge by connecting with local employers, industry experts and business owners.
- Empowerment – Learn about workers’ rights, wage negotiation and tools you can use to feel empowered while reaching your employment goals.
“Even though we are not in a traditional setting, being in the class keeps me hopeful. Because I still feel like I’m working on my future.” – YW Culinary participant
How our virtual program works
Participants will still experience the same quality culinary and job readiness curriculum above, as well as have the opportunity to earn their Food Handlers Certification, meets employers and guest chefs, and receive job placement assistance.
- Interactive, live classroom session on Thursdays on Zoom.
- Gain hands-on classroom experience to develop culinary and soft skills — from your home!
- Opportunity to cook, connect with, and learn from your fellow classmates.
- Opportunity to cook, connect with, and learn from professional guest chefs.
- Culinary and soft skills assignments will be assigned weekly on our online platform.
- Each interactive lesson will include technique videos, knowledge checks and an assessment.
- You can stay on pace with the class while setting your own time to work on assignments.
There are a variety of ways to partner with us virtually:
- Hire YW Culinary graduates
- Share your expertise as a Guest Chef
- Participate on employer panel discussions
- Participate in mock interviews
- Give a virtual tour of your commercial kitchen
Are you an employer looking for qualified culinary staff? Partner with us to connect with candidates with a ServSafe Food Handler certificate who are professional and have a proven commitment to working in the food service industry.
Previous YW Culinary partners include:
- District 65
- District 202
- Whole Foods
- General Mills
- Ace Hotel – Chicago
- Yo Fresh Yogurt
- Whole & Free Foods, LLC – Every Body Eat
- Main-Dempster Mile
Contact Kristin Drake for more information.
Why should you sign up for YWCulinary?
Next anticipated class: Winter 2022
Please check back this summer for updates on our next training session. If you are interested in receiving automatic updates, join our mailing list.