In-kind donations to YWCA Evanston/North Shore do a community of good! Here’s how:
- They provide survivors and their children at our domestic violence shelter with essentials to help rebuild their lives. Many survivors come to us with nothing.
- They help keep expenses down so we can focus on essential programming.
- And sales of donated women’s clothing help support our programs! We have a two resale shops for women, YWCA Shop for Good and YWCA Crowded Closet (also accepts consignments). 100% of profits from both shops support our domestic violence and economic empowerment programs for women across northeastern suburban Cook County.
Update: YWCA’s main building (1215 Church Street, Evanston) only accepts in-kind donations that have been approved by our in-kind donation coordinator. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with the items you would like to donate. Thank you for thinking of us!
- YWCA cannot accommodate drop-off or pick-up in-kind donation requests.
- Clothing donations of gently used and/or new women’s clothing and accessories may be dropped off at our resale shop YWCA Shop for Good (1107 Central Avenue, Wilmette, IL 60091), or our women’s consignment boutique, YWCA Crowded Closet (820 Dempster St., Evanston, IL 60202). (Read YWCA Shop for Good donation drop-off policy.)
- Questions? Contact Dena Stamatelos at email@example.com.
- Women’s Underwear (NEW, all sizes, Larger sizes preferred
- Individually wrapped snacks
- Laundry Pods
- Wide Tooth Combs
- Ear Plugs for sleeping
- PS4 Controllers
- Refrigerator (We need to know size before accepting)
- Target Gift Cards (These are most helpful to give to our residents to purchase a variety of items)/li>
Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you have items you would like us to consider!
We ask that donations of new and gently used clothing be made to:
- YWCA Shop for Good (1107 Central Avenue, Wilmette) is a non-profit enterprise owned by YWCA Evanston/North Shore. The shop accepts new and gently-used women’s clothing, shoes, accessories and jewelry on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 12:00-2:00 pm. Read the shop’s no-contact, curbside drop-off policy.
We cannot accept every donation. Upon occasion, it might be necessary for our staff to help you redirect your donation to other organizations where it can be put to better use.
Items we cannot accept:
- Used clothing: We cannot accept used clothing at our shelter. New and gently used women’s clothing can be dropped off at YWCA Shop for Good, our resale shop at 1107 Central Avenue in Wilmette.
- Used toys and stuffed animals: Through community organized toy drives and private donations, we are fortunate to be able to provide the children at Mary Lou’s Place with new toys. The dust and allergens carried in used stuffed animals pose a health risk to an allergic child.
- Home baked goods and home made meals: Health codes dictate that the shelter can not accept home made food of any kind.
- Furniture: Rooms at Mary Lou’s Place are each “adopted” by a community group or family that sees to its refurbishment and upkeep for a two year period. We do not therefore have an ongoing need for furniture nor do we have the capability of storing this type of donation.
- Sample size toiletries: The families that stay at Mary Lou’s Place do so for up to 90 days, so sample sized toiletries do not meet their needs. We ask that donated toiletries be full size.
- Furniture: Our new campus is housed with all the furniture for the families that stay at Mary Lou’s Place. Please check the in-need list for any specific furniture requests.
- Linens: Our new campus is housed with all the linens and towels for the families that stay at Mary Lou’s Place. Please check the in-need list for any specific linen requests.
Again, we are deeply grateful for the generosity of our donors, even if we occasionally have to say “no thank you”. We appreciate your understanding.