Community Engagement Programs
When people of diverse backgrounds come together to share stories, learn a common vocabulary, and commit to “staying in the conversation,” change is possible. Individuals gain the confidence to speak out about racial injustice, build alliances across color lines, and develop a deeper understanding of the effects of racism on all of us – and then we can identify strategies that will move us toward racial equity.
Our community engagement forums, which are hosted throughout the community, offer individuals the opportunity to come together and discuss current issues of racial justice, learn from one another, and deepen our ability to effectively talk about racism! Free and open to the public.
21 Day Racial Equity and Social Justice
As part of our ongoing work to eliminate racism, we invite you to embark on the 21-Day Racial Equity & Social Justice Challenge.
Racial Healing Week
Join us for Racial Healing Week, presented by YWCA Evanston/North Shore, in support of the National Day of Racial Healing.
Have your own movie night!
Here are a few videos you could view on your own or with your family, friends, or co-workers to challenge your thinking and jump start conversation:
- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: Danger of the Single Story
- Mellody Hobson: Color Blind or Color Brave?
- Verna Myers: How to Overcome our Biases? Walk BoldlyToward Them!
- Clint Smith:How to Raise a Black Son in America
- Jay Smooth: How to Tell People They Sound Racist
- Jay Smooth: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Discussing Race
- Bryan Stevenson: Can We Talk About an Injustice?
- Tim Wise: On White Privilege (a 9:00 clip)