Community Engagement Programs
When people of diverse backgrounds come together to share stories, learn a common vocabulary, and commit to “staying in the conversation,” change is possible. Individuals gain the confidence to speak out about racial injustice, build alliances across color lines, and develop a deeper understanding of the effects of racism on all of us – and then we can identify strategies that will move us toward racial equity.
Our community engagement forums, which are hosted throughout the community, offer individuals the opportunity to come together and discuss current issues of racial justice, learn from one another, and deepen our ability to effectively talk about racism! Free and open to the public.
Let's Talk @ Lunch
Join us for lunch or coffee to deepen your understanding of racial justice by looking at current events and institutions through a racial equity lens.
Racial Healing Circles
Raise your awareness and compassion, and start to heal community by participating in truthful conversations guided by a racial healing practitioner.
Marion Flynn, racial justice program participant
Have your own movie night!
Here are a few videos you could view on your own or with your family, friends, or co-workers to challenge your thinking and jump start conversation:
- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: Danger of the Single Story
- Mellody Hobson: Color Blind or Color Brave?
- Verna Myers: How to Overcome our Biases? Walk BoldlyToward Them!
- Clint Smith:How to Raise a Black Son in America
- Jay Smooth: How to Tell People They Sound Racist
- Jay Smooth: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Discussing Race
- Bryan Stevenson: Can We Talk About an Injustice?
- Tim Wise: On White Privilege (a 9:00 clip)