**Please Note: YWCulinary is now VIRTUAL to keep you safe.**
YW Culinary Program
YW Culinary is a 12-week job training program designed to prepare women for success in Chicagoland’s vibrant food service industry. The program is free.
Features of the program include:
- Develop culinary and food service skills
- Develop employment skills such as communication skills, interview practice, and resume writing
- Access YWCA financial education resources like Basic Money Management
- Earn ServSafe Food Handler Certificate
- Gain industry knowledge and learn from guest chefs
- Job placement and retention assistance
In this program you will learn:
- Develop knife skills, cooking and baking techniques.
- Prepare recipes and menus.
- Connect and cook alongside classmates and professional chefs virtually
- Earn your ServSafe Food Handler’s Certification.
- Career Development – Create an individualized career development plan while enhancing your skills in communication, interviewing and networking.
- Industry Knowledge – Gain industry knowledge by connecting with local employers, industry experts and business owners.
- Empowerment – Learn about workers’ rights, wage negotiation and tools you can use to feel empowered while reaching your employment goals.
“Even though we are not in a traditional setting, being in the class keeps me hopeful. Because I still feel like I’m working on my future.” – YW Culinary participant
How our virtual program works
Participants will still experience the same quality culinary and job readiness curriculum above, as well as have the opportunity to earn their Food Handlers Certification, meets employers and guest chefs, and receive job placement assistance.
- Interactive, live classroom session on Thursdays on Zoom.
- Gain hands-on classroom experience to develop culinary and soft skills — from your home!
- Opportunity to cook, connect with, and learn from your fellow classmates.
- Opportunity to cook, connect with, and learn from professional guest chefs.
- Culinary and soft skills assignments will be assigned weekly on our online platform.
- Each interactive lesson will include technique videos, knowledge checks and an assessment.
- You can stay on pace with the class while setting your own time to work on assignments.
There are a variety of ways to partner with us virtually:
- Hire YW Culinary graduates
- Share your expertise as a Guest Chef
- Participate on employer panel discussions
- Participate in mock interviews
- Give a virtual tour of your commercial kitchen
Are you an employer looking for qualified culinary staff? Partner with us to connect with candidates with a ServSafe Food Handler certificate who are professional and have a proven commitment to working in the food service industry.
Contact Kristin Drake for more information.
Why should you sign up for YWCulinary?
Next scheduled class dates:
March 15 – June 4, 2021
Spring 2021: YW Culinary will be 12 weeks
- Thursdays: virtual, interactive classroom instruction via Zoom.
- Weekly Assignments: Participants will stay on pace with the class while setting their own time to work on assignments.
- Register for and attend a virtual orientation (Feb. 23 1:30-3:30pm; Feb. 24 1:30-3:30pm; and Feb. 25 10 am-noon). New to registration platform Community Pass? Follow our guide to set-up an account.
- Fill out online application. Our team will send you a link to an application after attending an orientation.
- Interview with us!