About Let’s Talk @ Lunch
As we learn to talk THROUGH the issue of racism (instead of around it), we need to share a common language, and deepen our understanding by looking at events and institutions through a racial equity lens.
One opportunity for such practice is our “Let’s Talk @ Lunch” program. Participants gather and YWCA provides a trained facilitator. All are welcome!
Register for Let’s Talk @ Lunch through Eventbrite below
Articles we’ve discussed at Let’s Talk @ Lunch that you might find useful:
- How to Dismantle White Supremacy | The Nation
The Danger of Silence, with Clint Smith
- Interview of Heather McGhee by Trevor Noah with a fuller description of “the solidarity dividend” Heather McGhee – “The Sum of Us” – The Daily Show with Trevor Noah (Video Clip) | Comedy Central US (cc.com) (9 minutes)Short overview of some key points from Heather McGhee’s book: “The Sum of Us – What Racism Costs Everyone and How We Can Prosper Together”.
- “The History of Reparations” and “Missed Opportunities” sections of this article: “Why we need reparations for Black Americans” by Rashawn Ray and Andre M. Perry
- Setting some Native American myths straight: “A Native American Perspective on the Thanksgiving Story” by Moroni Benally
- How has whiteness impacted the racial tension in our communities? This article provides some powerful questions to be asked: “White urgency to end racism: why now?” by Beth BerilaAnd we ALWAYS recommend “The Case for Reparations” by Ta-Nehisi Coates to anyone who has not read it.