They grow up fast. Let’s get ready for their future.
Savings for Success is a program of YWCA Evanston/North Shore and the Evanston Community Foundation that helps you save for your child’s future. Build money management skills and get up to $300 for your child’s education.
Who can sign up?
Parents with a child in a participating early childhood program in Evanston can sign up.
Why start saving now?
Almost all jobs require education after high school. Job training or college can cost a lot!
No matter what your child wants to be when they grow up, you can help them reach their goal…starting now.
How it works…
*New and improved incentives for 2020*
Sign up for the program and open an Illinois Bright Start account for your child. We’ll put in $50.
You can stop there. Or you can…
- Save money in your child’s account during 2020 and we’ll match you dollar for dollar up to $50.
- Join us for a financial workshop (like Basic Money Management or Financial Education Workshops) in 2020. We’ll put $10 per workshop up to $50.
- Participate in financial coaching and we’ll put in $25 per session up to $150.
That’s up to $300 you earn for your child’s education!
I'd like to participate in Savings for Success. How do I enroll?
Here’s what you need to open an Illinois Bright Start 529 Plan:
- Your social security or taxpayer identification number
- Your child’s social security or taxpayer identification number
- A mailing address
- Go to https://www.brightstart.com/open-an-account/
- Click on “Open an Account Online” and fill in the requested information.
- You will be given a chance to verify your information. After you have verified your information, your will be given a 9 digit account number. Write it down or store it in your phone.
- Print and complete this letter that gives Evanston Community Foundation (ECF) permission to get reports of your account balance and transaction history. Be sure to include the new account number for your child’s 529 account. ECF must receive this form in order to contribute to your account.
- Return the signed letter to Shannon Callahan at YWCA Evanston North Shore 1215 Church Street, Evanston 60201 or take a photo of it and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently asked questions
We will help you enroll your child in a special savings account — the Illinois Bright Start 529 Plan. It works like a retirement fund, except the money is for your child’s education.
Your child can use the money to study at most job training programs or colleges after high school.
You can choose how to invest your money. The value in your account might rise or fall over the years. But over the long term, people usually save more than they would in a bank savings account.
The first $50 for sign-up and the $50 savings match are available to all eligible children. You can only earn the additional $200 one time for your family.
Older children are not eligible for the Savings for Success program.
But you can still open an Illinois Bright Start 529 account and begin saving for their future. We can help you do that. Every dollar counts!
Savings for Success Participant
This project is a partnership of YWCA Evanston/North Shore and Evanston Community Foundation (ECF). Participants will get communication twice a year from ECF with incentive updates.
If you have any questions about Savings for Success, please contact Shannon Callahan, Director of Women’s Leadership and Economic Advancement Program (LEAP), at 224-420-3294 or email email@example.com.