May 1, 2020
To our YWCA Evanston/North Shore Community:
Like the willow tree Suzanne Smith writes about in her article about resilient non-profits, we are learning that, together with our community and our supporters, we have the ability to bend and withstand even the most terrific storm. Here’s where we are this week:
- Our 24-hour domestic violence crisis line (877-718-1868) is once again fully operational!
- We have moved all of our shelter residents to local hotel rooms with efficiency kitchens so we can ensure the continued safety of both staff and survivors
- We are hosting virtual support groups for survivors twice a week — with overwhelmingly response
- We are able to help survivors get direct access to safe housing through the coordinated entry system
- Racial Equity Workshops are now virtual
- We’ll host our first virtual Domestic Violence Training for Salon Professionals later this month
- The annual Stand Against Racism blossomed into a community-wide social media stand
- Our plans to embrace the spirit of the Race Against Hate are in place!
We have partnered across functional and organizational lines to create a spirit of teamwork that is truly inspiring. And our community has shown tremendous spirit and commitment during this storm. We are resilient.
With thanks for all you do to help your neighbors and your community weather this storm.