In-kind donations to YWCA Evanston/North Shore do a community of good! They provide women and children at our domestic violence shelter, many of whom come to us with nothing, with essentials to help rebuild their lives. They help keep expenses down so we can focus on essential programming. And sales of donated women’s clothing at Encore & More help support domestic violence and economic empowerment programs for women across northeastern suburban Cook County.
Read below for further information about what we need most and what we cannot accept. And if your organization is interested in doing a drive of items from our wish list, please contact Trimmy Stamell, Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations at 224-420-3271.
We ask that donations of new and gently used clothing be made in one of the following two ways:
- Encore & More Resale Shop is a non-profit enterprise owned by YWCA Evanston/North Shore, located at 1107 Central Avenue in Wilmette. We are always in need of donations of new and gently used women’s clothing and accessories, jewelry, and small housewares. Click here to learn more.
- YWCA drop box just outside the entrance to our administrative offices at 1215 Church Street in Evanston. Proceeds from the sale of clothing left in local YWCA drop boxes help support our domestic violence services program.
- Children’s clothing can be donated to Evanston Children’s Clothing Association (ESCCA). Drop boxes are located on the west side of the District 65 Administrative Building at 1500 McDaniel in Evanston.
YWCA accepts gifts in-kind, such as supplies for Mary Lou’s Place (our domestic violence shelter for women and their children), computer equipment and office supplies. We always need the following items:
- full-sized toiletries (including hair and skin products designed for African American women)
- sanitary napkins, tampons and adult diapers
- new sweatshirts and sweatpants for women (all sizes, S-XXXL)
- new socks for women and children
- new or very gently used infant clothing
- disposable diapers (especially larger sizes)
- baby wipes
- unopened over the counter medications for adults and children
- towels & washcloths, new or gently used
- twin-sized bedding, new or gently used
- acrylic or plastic drinking glasses (non-disposable)
- laundry detergent
- dishwashing liquid
- napkins, paper towels plastic plates, bowls
- facial tissue
- cleaning supplies, bleach, disinfectant
- alarm clocks with batteries
Gift cards and Ventra passes:
- Gift Cards to Walmart, Target, Walgreens, Dollar Tree, Family Dollar or Jewel
- Ventra passes –transportation assistance for clients looking for housing, going on job interviews, seeking day care, pursuing legal issues, etc.
Due to a lack of manpower and storage space, we will only accept in-kind donations at our administrative offices, at 1215 Church Street in Evanston, on the following days/times:
Monday 7:00 am – 1:00 pm
Saturday 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
We cannot accept every donation. Upon occasion, it might be necessary for our staff to help you redirect your donation to other organizations where it can be put to better use.
Items we cannot accept:
- Used clothing: We cannot accept used clothing at our shelter. New and gently used women’s clothing can be dropped off at Encore & More, our resale shop at 1107 Central Avenue in Wilmette. Other used clothing can be placed in the bin to the left of our front door.
- Used toys and stuffed animals: Through community organized toy drives and private donations, we are fortunate to be able to provide the children at Mary Lou’s Place with new toys. The dust and allergens carried in used stuffed animals pose a health risk to an allergic child.
- Home baked goods and home made meals: Health codes dictate that the shelter can not accept home made food of any kind.
- Furniture: Rooms at Mary Lou’s Place are each “adopted” by a community group or family that sees to its refurbishment and upkeep for a two year period. We do not therefore have an ongoing need for furniture nor do we have the capability of storing this type of donation.
- Sample size toiletries: The families that stay at Mary Lou’s Place do so for up to 90 days, so sample sized toiletries do not meet their needs. We ask that donated toiletries be full size.
Again, we are deeply grateful for the generosity of our donors, even if we occasionally have to say “no thank you”. We appreciate your understanding.
The Salvation Army
To arrange a pick-up of larger items, call before 4 pm, M-F
Phone: 773-477-1301, 773-477-1302
Evanston School Children’s Clothing Association (ESCCA)
Drop boxes located on the west side of the District 65 Administrative Building at 1500 McDaniel, Evanston
For more information about donating items on our Wish Lists, please contact Trimmy Stamell, Director of Corporate & Foundation Relations, at 847-864-8445.
Before you bring any items into our offices for donation, contact Trimmy Stamell at 847-864-8445, ext. 121.
Due to a lack of manpower and storage space, we can only accept in-kind donations at our administrative offices at 1215 Church Street in Evanston, on the following days/times:
Monday 7:00 am – 1:00 pm
Saturday 9:00 am – 4:00 pm