Stand Against Racism
Stand Against Racism is a signature campaign of YWCA USA to build community among those who work for racial justice and to raise awareness about the negative impact of institutional and structural racism in our communities.
Founded by YWCA Trenton and YWCA Princeton in 2007, Stand Against Racism quickly grew to a national presence by 2010, when an additional 80 YWCAs across the nation, including YWCA Evanston/North Shore, took a Stand. Over 2,000 organizations across 39 states joined YWCAs in the Stand Against Racism. This phenomenal success has attracted well over 250,000 participants and earned the endorsement of five U.S. Governors. The event has been widely featured by local ABC, NBC, CBS, and other networks.
The Stand Against Racism takes place each year on the last Friday in April. We invite you to join the Stand as an organization, school, or business and reach out to another organization to be with you.
- Register at www.standagainstracism.org for your group to participate in our public Stand Against Racism (registration for 2019 will open in February, 2019).
- Think of another group or two near you, with whom you’d like to participate, and reach out to them now. It is clear to us that collaborating with others to identify and eliminate the inequities that exist is the most likely way to achieve the transformation we seek. So, we encourage every organization, business, house of worship, or school to link up with one another or with the people in the large apartment building near you, and spend some time identifying ways you might interact around equity.
- Plan what you’ll do, where you’ll stand, how you’ll support the YWCA mission to eliminate racism.
Thank you to the organizations that participated in the 2018 Stand Against Racism!
- Baker Demonstration School
- Beth Emet-The Free Synagogue
- City of Evanston
- Evanston Fire Department
- Evanston Police Department
- Evanston Public Library
- Dawes School
- Dewey School
- Lincoln School
- Oakton School
- Washington School
- First Congregational Church of Evanston UCC
- Flying Fish Swim Team
- Interfaith Action of Evanston
- League of Women Voters Evanston
- McGaw YMCA
- Northwestern University Alumni Relations & Development
- Northwestern University Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion
- Northwestern University Weinberg College Staff
- Pope John XXIII School
- Roycemore School
- St. Augustine’s Episcopal Church (Wilmette)
- St. Mark’s Episcopal Church
- St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church
- St. Nicholas Church
- Unitarian Church of Evanston
- Youth & Opportunity United
- ELL Parent Center
- League of Women Voters
- NorthShore University Health System-Skokie Hospital
- Skokie Fire Department
- Skokie Park District
- Skokie Police Department
- Skokie Public Library
- Skokie School District 69
- Edison School
- McCracken School
- Meyer School
- Middleton School
- St. Peter’s United Church of Christ
- 7900 Block of Tripp
- Village of Skokie
- Human Relations Commission
Read local press coverage from the 2018 Stand Against Racism.