As we learn to talk THROUGH the issue of racism (instead of around it), we need to share a common language, and deepen our understanding by looking at events and institutions through a racial equity lens.
One opportunity for such practice is our “Let’s Talk @ Lunch” program. Participants gather and YWCA provides a trained facilitator. Let’s Talk @ Lunch takes place regularly at the following times and locations (check calendar for updates). All are welcome!
YoFresh Yogurt Café
635 Chicago Ave., Evanston
First Tuesday of every month, 1:30-2:30 pm
2922 Central St., Evanston
2nd Wednesday of the month, 1:30-2:30 pm *February meeting is cancelled
Skokie Village Hall
5127 Oakton St., Skokie (conference room D, 2nd Floor)
3rd Tuesday of the month, Noon-1:00 pm
Articles we’ve discussed at Let’s Talk @ Lunch that you might find useful:
- The Case for Reparations by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- White people have a race — but everyone flips out when we talk about it by Jenée Desmond-Harris
- Letter to My Son by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- What’s Wrong with Cultural Appropriation? These 9 Answers Reveal Its Harm by Maisha Z. Johnson
- A Minute on Racism, recommended Facebook page