YWCA USA has stood with women, children, and families for 160 years. We know that families are at the core of our nation’s well-being, and that the trauma of separation from caregivers has lifelong negative impacts on children. YWCA Evanston/North Shore joins YWCA USA in condemning the treatment of asylum-seekers, immigrants at the border and immigrants throughout the country, who live in fear every single day.
Immigrant justice is racial justice. This country has a deep-rooted history of criminalizing people of color. The current Administration’s immigration enforcement efforts continue this history of punishing and criminalizing immigrant parents of color.
As we struggle with the reality of these families torn apart at our nation’s border, we also know it is not the first time in United States history that this shameful tactic is being employed. Enslaved African-Americans, Native Americans and Japanese citizens are all too familiar with the practice of families being torn apart and/or forced into extended incarceration. You can read about each of those episodes here:
- Slaves knew ‘the fearful anguish of broken hearts’. In Trump’s America, migrants do too
- Indian Country Remembers the Trauma of Children Taken from Their Parents
- Japanese-American internment camps taught us what happens to the health of separated families
Please join us this Saturday, June 30th, as we rally with others at the Daley Center in Chicago.
Meet us at the Davis Street “L” station by 9:30 am, to head downtown for the 11:00 rally. There we’ll try to gather along the east side of the Daley Center fountain; join us there. Get more information here.
What else can you do? Register for an upcoming equity workshop or attend Let’s Talk @ Lunch, and expand your understanding of racial justice.
Upcoming Racial Equity Workshops
- July 10: Implicit Bias, 9:00-11:30 am
- July 26: Microaggressions: Intent vs. Impact, 1:30 – 4:00 pm
- Aug 22: Developing Cultural Competency, 9:00 – 11:30 am
- Sept 13: Understanding Power & Privilege, 1:30 – 4:00 pm
Get more information and register here.
Let’s Talk at Lunch
- July 3: YoFresh Yogurt Café, 635 Chicago Ave., Evanston, 1:00-2:00 pm
- July 11: Curt’s Cafe, 2922 Central St., Evanston, 1:30-2:30 pm
- July 17: Skokie Public Library, 5215 Oakton St., Noon-1:00 pm
- August 7: YoFresh Yogurt Café, 635 Chicago Ave., Evanston, 1:00-2:00 pm
- August 8: Curt’s Cafe, 2922 Central St., Evanston, 1:30-2:30 pm
- August 14: Skokie Public Library, 5215 Oakton St., Noon-1:00 pm
Learn more about Let’s Talk @ Lunch here.