ACTIONS TO ACHIEVE EQUITY
End Gender-Based Violence and Ensure Access to Quality Healthcare
- ENSURE schools comply with Title IX of the Education Amendments Act.
- EXPAND community collaboration to improve effectiveness of local prevention and intervention efforts.
- CONNECT community members to local anti-violence programs and resources.
- REVIEW your company’s healthcare plan and employee usage to identify and remove any barriers to coverage.
- ENSURE your company has a domestic violence prevention policy, and has provided training on how to identify signs of gender violence and refer staff to supportive services.
- TRAIN first responders, criminal justice professionals, social service workers and school personnel on how to respond to gender-based violence.
- LEARN HOW you can counter gender violence & support a family member, friend, or neighbor who is experiencing it.
End Racial Profiling and the Criminalization of People of Color
- SUPPORT state legislation to raise the age of juvenile delinquency from 18 to 21 for misdemeanors.
- ADOPT policies at law enforcement agencies to eliminate racial profiling and enforce disciplinary measures.
- WORK to eliminate disproportionate discipline for students and girls of color.
- PROVIDE bias and equity training for all school personnel and law enforcement interacting with students.
- REGULARLY REVIEW and revise disciplinary policies; include mechanisms for collecting and incorporating community input.
- COLLECT and report data on disciplinary actions taken by the school, broken down by race and other protected characteristics.
Ensure Pay Equity and Affordable Housing
- SUPPORT Illinois’ No Salary History Act.
- SUPPORT women and minority-owned businesses and provide resources to help them succeed.
- ANNUALLY ASSESS pay structure and offer equitable pay rates and paid sick and family leave across race and gender.
- BECOME a YWCA financial coach and help women achieve financial stability and independence.
- SEEK OUT and frequent local businesses owned by women and people of color.
- ENSURE that the City of Evanston’s new Affordable Housing Plan prioritizes the needs of people of color, survivors of domestic violence, and women-headed households.
- ADVOCATE for affordable housing to be protected and expanded in your community.
What else can I do?
Actions you can take to promote racial and gender equity and help ensure financial stability for all:
- SUPPORT legislation like the federal FAMILY Act.
- NURTURE a strong network of local childcare providers to provide quality, affordable care.
- ENSURE working parents understand their rights and any childcare tax credits for which they may be eligible.
- VOLUNTEER with organizations working to advance racial and gender equity.
- SIGN UP for YWCA’s Act Now alerts to receive updates on state and federal laws responding to gender-based violence. TEXT YWCAEVANSTON TO 22828 to get started!